Canoe Polo Schools Program
Canoe SA conducts short introductory programs for secondary school students.
Canoe SA will introduce students to:
- balance and body co-ordination
- hand-eye co-ordination
- boat control – harder than you might think, these small craft (refered to as BAT – baths advanced trainers) are hard to keep in a straight line as they have no keel line and are built to turn quickly
- paddle control – upper body flexibility as well as engaging core muscle groups
- ball skills – throwing and catching when sitting in a kayak floating on the water is powerful way to engage your muscles and brain in co-ordinated action.
Rules – International Canoe Federation rules and local variations for novices.
Game Strategy – like all ball games played in a team canoe polo is about controlling the ball and ensuring that your team has a higher score at the end of the game
What does it involve?
A school with students and teacher who are keen to learn about this fast and exciting sport.
A suitable venue close to your school (pool or lake such as Mawson Lake or Patawalonga).
Canoe SA Provides
- coaches and equipment for up to 15 students
- 3 on-water and 1 off-water sessions (approx 1 – 2 hours duration).
Cost: Each student must join Canoe SA as a student member (valid for 3 months).
Enquiries can be directed to the Canoe SA office by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
or phone 08 8240 3294
Would you like to try Canoe Polo and train regularly?
Then the Canoe Polo Development Squad is the thing for you.
- Each Sunday morning 9 – 11 am
- 2 hours coaching and games
How much will it cost?
3-month introductory membership to Canoe SA of $35.00 (for people under 18) and $50.00 for Adults
- insurance as part of Australian Canoeing
- Membership with Canoe SA and Australian Canoeing.
After the 3-month introductory membership, participants can join a club for an additional fee of approx $35 (children) for the year.
What you will not pay for
The coaching sessions conducted by qualified coaches including current & past Australian team members.
Use of canoe polo equipment including polo bat, paddle, helmet, pfd and spraydeck will be at no cost.
What does a student or school do to join in?
- Schools who have students who are interested to participate can arrange an information session by contacting Canoe SA on 8240 3294.
- Individual students can become part of the talent identification & coaching by contacting Canoe SA – 8240 3294.
- Where possible each school will need a teacher or parent who will act as a contact or co-ordinator to ensure interested students get information.